Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Fear is the mind-killer

Metaphors fail me...You want to run on a campaign promise of providing hope instead of fear, then stop brainwashing people with this shit. You know what burns my ass more than a flame about yea high? The rhetoric of "We have to be successful 100 percent of the time and the terrorists only have to be successful once". Scary, huh? Then why don't you reassure the populace by telling them about the money you're pouring/not pouring into biodefense and preparedness. We'd all feel better knowing that there are jet cargo planes waiting to dispense vaccines in outbreak areas, that local health officials can work seamlessly with their federal counterparts, etc. Please repeat after me, America (and you thought sci-fi was all about space marines and chest busters):

"I must not fear.

Fear is the mind-killer.

Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

I will face my fear.

I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

And when ...

it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Only I will remain."

---Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try convincing and chanting at the same time. BKB

http://www.convinceyourmom.com/index.php

The Daily Gus said...

We have met the enemy, and he is us.
--Pogo the Possum (Walt Kelly)

Anonymous said...

Well said, Adam. The number of people allowing fear to control them never ceases to amaze me. One of our employees at my museum 3000 miles from NYC sent out an email to everyone this past 9/11 that said, "I just want to wish everyone a safe weekend. As a cultural institution, I know that we are a target."

No, dear. The terrorists don't want to blow up our dinosaur bones. Washington, DC may be a little higher up on the potential target ladder than Idaho or Missouri or Wyoming, despite what the President and his lackeys might tell you.

Anonymous said...

Sorry! That post about the museum was me.

kate
http://www.livejournal.com/users/katedanley